This recipe is enough to make a large tray of around 40 pieces but you could easily halve the recipe if you just want to try it out.
*You can buy all of the asterisked ingredients in Tesco - look in the section with the speciality ingredients. You can also buy sushi rolling mats there.
3 syns for the whole recipe on Extra Easy and Green
500g sushi rice*
4 tablespoons rice vinegar*
1 tablespoon caster sugar (3 syns)
1 teaspoon salt
1 pack of 5 nori seaweed sheets*
Fillings of your choice: smoked salmon, crab sticks, steamed asparagus, roast pepper, cucumber, etc. cut into long thin strips (count any syns if necessary)
To serve: soy sauce, wasabi*, pickled ginger*
1. First wash the rice in 3-4 changes of cold water
2. Place the rice in a pan with 660ml water, put on a well fitting lid and bring to the boil
3. Simmer for 10 minutes, then take off the heat and leave for 15-20 minutes. Don't take the lid off!
4. Meanwhile make the dressing for the rice by mixing the rice vinegar, caster sugar and salt together. Warm it gently in the microwave or in a pan to help dissolve the salt and sugar.
5. To help cool the rice quickly, tip it out of the pan onto a sheet of foil and spread it out
6. When the rice is cool, mix it together with the dressing in a large bowl
7. Now it's time to start rolling your sushi! The nori will have a shiny side - put it shiny side down onto the rolling mat
8. Spread a thin, even layer of rice over the bottom 3/4 of the nori - you will find it easier if you keep a bowl of water handy to keep your fingers wet
9. Place your strips of filling about a quarter of the way from the bottom egde of the nori
10. Now pick up the bottom edge of the mat and roll the sushi over to enclose your filling - give it a squeeze to make sure everything is firm and continue rolling to the end of the nori
11. Slice off the ragged ends of the roll (perks of being the chef - you get to eat those!) and slice it into pieces around 2cm thick - you should get 8 from one roll. Use your sharpest knife and keep it wet to help it stop sticking.
12. Serve with the soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger.
The best way to eat the sushi is to have individual bowls of soy sauce that you can mix a little wasabi into to your own taste. Dip the sushi in the soy/wasabi mix and eat!
If you have to put the sushi in the fridge, take it out 1 hour before serving to come up to room temperature.